Hi Guys!
Well this week has been a blast. I am learning a ton, and having a great time. I dont even know where to start.
Conference was really great! I once again started out with a sandwich from the ever expensive Subway, which was incredible. Unfortunately, there was a massive confusion with the conference, whether or not we could listen to it in English as missionaries. I, being the American ZL, had to sort that out. I, the leaders of the stake and mission, and even the President, trying to figure out why everyone was saying we couldn't watch in English. And of course, all the English-speaking members of the stake were coming to me because they wanted to watch it, and for some reason it was up to me to figure out why it wasn't set up! It was crazy, some of the leadership was kinda difficult to work with, and I still dont know why, but we watched most of it in Portuguese. There were some people upset, but what can ya do!
I did my best to put that aside, and enjoy the sessions. It is a lot harder to focus in Portuguese, especially since its not the same voice, and all, but I found it easiest if i didn't look at the screen. I found myself lip reading in English, and hearing Portuguese. So I did some doodling while listening. But I loved it still the same.
Luckily, we were able to watch the preisthood session in english. Elder Uchtdorf's talk was an answer to a lot of prayers. He explained humility in a way that made sense to me, and I was able to make some goals. I really liked what he said about how humilty doesnt come from thinking less of yourself (something I do too often), but it comes from thinking less about yourself (my favorite pasttime ;). I cant remember any other notes at this second, but I know that leaving the sessions, I felt so great. Felt so happy to be a member, and so determined to do what I can to follow the Lord. I'm really excited to read the talks!
I have been learning a ton from my companion. He is a super outgoing guy. He can get anybody to laugh. He is an incredible teacher as well. The first few days I didnt really teach very much, he kinda just did everything. But, I talked to him about sharing the load, and now we are doing really well. I have so much to learn. But I have been doing my best, and I've seen a few of my strengths come out. Thanks for the note about tenacity, Mom. I taught Elder Areas that word this morning. It is my favorite word in the English language.
In seeing that my companion was such a great missionary, I made a ton of goals this week. A ton. A bunch of lil things to step up the work on my side. One thing Ive done is clean. I haved loved cleaning this week. kinda weird, and I know you just fell out of your chair mom, but I have been able to think and receive a lot of help from the Lord as I do these tasks. I have never seen a missionary house so clean! Elder Areas and I have cleaned the whole thing from top to bottom. Today I washed the legs of the table. Which really needed it haha.
One of my other goals has been my thoughts. Something I came up with before conference, been conference definitely helped. Ive been trying really hard to not only always working, but always thinking, and praying, about the work, and how to improve it. (Almost always, you gotta break out and sing some soprano every once in awhile). This has made the week go by really fast, and as I try to improve this skill, I think Ill be able to get alot more done in my life.
My week is completely jumbled inside my mind. What cha gunna do.
Well, I love you people, and my time has run out I have really been thinking a lot about 1 nephi 16:16 i think, that talks about keeping to the "most fertile parts of the wilderness". I really liked this phrase, and how we can do that by following the ball, or the scriptures.
I love you, have a great week! Break a leg, and arm, but don't break anything valuable.
Tchau tchau!
Elde Jake