Saturday, October 23, 2010

New neighbors, funny people, one year mark

Dear My family and Friends,

Thanks for your great letters! Lets get this party started.

We have new neighbors! The family who lives in the main part of house (we live in the basement) is on a temple mission now, and they rented the house to a Chilean family! They are also members of the church, and don't speak Portuguese! I am having a lot of fun with them, and I'm practicing the Spanish I never learned, haha.

Yesterday we helped them move some furniture. It was pretty crazy. We were trying to get a couch from the second floor to the first. It didnt fit down the staircase. It pretty interesting. The wife came in and saw us and her husband trying to make it work and said more or less "I know a joke. A Braslian, and Chilean, and an American were trying to more a couch..." It pretty much was a joke. We ended up tying a garden hose to the couch and lowering it down from the balconcy. They are a super friendly, and hilarious family. We comunicate with a mixture of spanish, portuguese and english. I'm loving it. Its pretty cool to learn a bit of Spanish as well, its pretty similar, and I'm picking up some phrases pretty quickly.

Alessandra is doing awesome! She will be baptized on the 31st. Her and her husband (who was less-active) are going strong. They stopped drinking coffed, and are just loving the church. They met President Richardson on sunday when he spoke at stake conference. President asked Manoel if he was receiving the lessons. He said, "Yeah, they come by about once a MONTH!" the look on presidents face was pretty funny, and Manoel got a kick out of it. Glad someone did haha

They are the only real investigators we have right now, we dropped the majority of our teaching pool this week. The area looks like its just falling apart! They all stopped progressing, and so we had to move on. So for this, the week was a lil stressful.

I really liked the story dad shared from President Monson. [It was actually Elder Holland.] I felt like my car has kinda broken down. But I'm excited to see what the Lord has in store for us this week!

As Zone leaders the work is pretty much the same. We just have to follow-up at night by phone, and do divisions. I like divisions a lot, I always have. Its pretty fun to mix things up.

I have been thinking a lot about Sister Lauren this week. We met a family (cousins of Alessandra) who remind me a ton of Lauren and her mom. Its weird. But I have been thinking about the superb missionary she is, and some lessons I learned from her in my life. Super good friend. Taught me a lot, especially how to laugh, and have fun.

That Primary activity went to last week was the rehearsal for the program. I'm excited for it, it'll be Sunday.

Well, on my one year mark, I was on a division, and wasn't gonna do anything, cause I was gonna wait for my comp to come back to party, but a member sent me a pizza! Made my day! Then the next day, I celebrated with Elder Areas by buying another pizza, and burning a shirt.

Well, I love you all, I have to go!

Love, Elder Jake