Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bringing 11 people to church

Hi Family!

This week was a pretty solid week. We were able to bring 11 people to church sunday! I almost cried with the immense alegria. It was pretty awesome.

First, Alessandra and Manoel, and this couple we found knocking doors. He's a member, she isn't. Anyways, we went to her house Monday night, and we asked her how the reading went. She replied that she was full of questions, and when she opened the Book of Mormon, it answered all of the questions she had at that time. She conitinued to tell us that as she prayed that night, she felt the same peace. She was so happy! I asked her if she believed the Book of Mormon was true, and she said yes! I asked if she believed if the church, and she said she did. The spirit was really strong, I was so happy. I don't know if I have felt the spirit that strong yet on my mission. It was a really cool experience.

It is really hard to focus on this email. Everything is closed today because its a holiday, so we are using the computers in an English school of one of the members. I'm using this little laptop and I'm afraid Im gonna break it. And the member, being really cool, we are all talking a lot, so its difficult. But Ill do my best!

Today was a great p-day! We went to the chapel to open it for the primary because no other priesthood holder could make it. There were a couple brothers there, but they are recent converts. Anyways, we started out by playing some soccer. I really loved that. Its been about 6 months since I played any sports. Then, we went to McDonalds. Then, came back to the church, and played som games with the primary. It was really fun. We played this one came, DO You Love your Neighboor?, which is kinda like musical chairs. Anyways, during one of the parts of the game, I got up to switch chairs and almost destroyed poor Irma Zilma. She went flying! She stepped in my path and lost the battle of physics, and went flying. haha I felt pretty bad, but she thought it was pretty funny and we had a good laugh. I was a lot more careful after that...Haha but it was great to play with some kids again. It reminded me of the family. Was a blast.

Well, you asked what I've learned lately. I think what I've really been learning is to love people that I don't know, and equally important, show my love. I have really been trying to feel the love I should for these people. Something I will continue to develop for the rest of my life I suppose, but I have been trying to make some leaps in this. I don't even know what else I've been learning, Its so hard to describe. I feel like I'm learning everything, and nothing all at once. The more I learn, the more I realize that I have more to learn. I have such a long way to go!

I will hit on year this week. Not sure how I feel about that. I dont feel old, I still feel really new on the mission. I am still learning so much, which I am totally fine with. I hope I can continue to do that.

What parts of the Brazilian Culture have I adopted? Well, Ive always been extremely impressed with the love the Brazilans have. They are such a warm, happy, unconditionally loving, and joking people. This is a trait I really hope to take away from Brazil. I can't really explain it, but it is something I will try to make part of me, and then take it home. I love Brazilians.

In the next few months, what do I want to learn? That list is extremly long. But I'm focusing on my teaching, improving the way I share the gospel. I'm just studying a lot PMG and some other things. Also Portuguese, I wanna improve a lot my speaking ability. As I am starting to forget English, I'm gonna need at least one language when I return...

And also I have a question, why Jacob? Why did you choose this name? Well, my time has run out. This letter was quite uninformative. Sorry! But I'm hungry. And my companion is complaining, as usual ;). He gave an incredibly powerful talk on Sunday. I was taken back. I gotta step up my game! haha Well I love Santo Andre, I love the members, I love the work, and I love you guys as well!

Tchau tchau!
Love, Elder Jake