[I apologize for not posting this last week.]
Hello Family and friends!
This week has been really freakin good. Because of the fact that Elder Alves doesnt know anybody, I have had to talk, a lot, and lead discussions. It has been amazing for my Portuguese. It has takin off. I am tryin really hard to teach Elder Alves english, but Im a lil ashamed, and kinda proud that it has been hard for me to speak only English with him in the apartment, as we agreed. I am so greatful for this trial, of having to speak a lot. Though it has been really hard, and I've said a ton of prayers, it has really pushed me, and I am really happy and grateful for that.
I'll answer a few questions.I haven't gotten the package yet, but I did get some letters. Not sure from who yet, my LZ told me he'd give em to me some time this week. Whoever you are, thank you! I don't think they forward packages until zone conference, but I dont really know!
My new companion is great. I get along with him really well, and we work well together. HE is a really happy guy, and just enjoys the work. He is from, brace yourself for some horrile spelling, Forteleca. Everyone knows that, before he says anything, because of his yoda head. We make a good team. Its really great to be part of a team, unstead of just followng around someone and always having no dea whats going on.
Portuguese is really helpful when working with Brazilians. I have been makin more contacts,and we have been teaching a couple of guys on a construction crew. Its just like summer. Just a bunch of youth 16-19 workin for a ward member. We have one of them scheduled for baptism, and the others arent far behind. We are going to work with them tomorrow, I am excited to do some construction. I miss it so much.I also have had the strongest desire to fly the past 5 weeks or so. Not to fly home or anything haha but just to fly. I really need to get my pilots license. Which hopefully doesnt include a spelling test. But we arent authorized to fly on the mission. . . yet.
We have had a ton of flooding this week, we went to contact some families on Thursday and found urselves walking in water up to my waist. The whole bairro was like that! and in the favella, a few houses washed away. It is crazy. Really hard to visit people. We will walk in the water in most neiborhoods, but not in the favella. Is super dirty and has lots of rats.
Thanks for the forwarded from the Burnettes. I will contact Pres today I think, Ill ceck with zls first.Ward leaders are kinda non existant. I have no idea who they are. I have met a few, and they ask a lot of us, but we are really tryin to et them to work with us. And it is startin to work a bit. Pretty pumped.
Davi is bein difficult. Really its his grandma, who he lives with. She always has an excuse why she cant go to church, and wont let him go with out her. Really frusrtrating for us, and for Davi as well. We are prayin and hopin to do somethin tomorrow. We have a good lesson planned up, and with the lords hel, maybe itll work!
Ill translate that letter and try to get an interview this week. Once I find out who the RC pres is.
Food. Rice and beans. Everyday. Thats it! Its pretty good. HAvent eaten anything else weird or anything. Every once in awhile we have spagetti. Or stronganoff. I love that!We get fed really well, too well. The sisters here will not take no for an answer. Its kinda annoying at times. Ruin a perfectly great meal because i ate five plates and she was upset I didnt eat six. My companion is about 130 lbs. He is suffrin wih this haha
photos. Ill send some next week in the email. ill try and send some on cd or dvd. Does dvd work? i can fit way more there.
Im in a different area today, playin some soccer. This is the first time ive worn a t shirt in brasil. I cant get my companions to run with me. But their reaasons are good, they cant afford shoes. That made me feel like I was a bit spoiled.
I am really excited about the house [we are doing some home improvements], and a lil bit upset Im not there to be there!
CHoa!
[Elder Jake posted an email to his dad explaing the abrupt ending to this letter.]
Hey Dad! Sorry I cut off the family letter so fast, my comps email just shut down and he lost his whole email. I was able to send mine as soon as I saw that and mine shut down about 3 seconds later!