Monday, February 15, 2010

Caution: Don't read while eating?

[This email leaves a few questions a mom wants to follow-up on -- such as what medication are you finishing up on? Shelly - I think you will really laugh at this letter!]

Hey English speaking people!

It has been a good week here in this new area, and with the new comp and the ZLs living with us, it has been a solid week. Ill give you a few highlights before answering some questions.

Investagators. I'd love to tell you about them all, but there are two many, and I don't know any of them yet. (Well, enough to talk about em). But one is this cool guy named Alex. He´s 20, and has a scholarship to play ball at Mississippi, I think . . . one of the states over there. He's way good at basketball. And huge. We asked him how he was doing with the law of chastity, and he just looked at us. And with the funny grin he's got, he said, "Thats pretty hard, but I'm keeping it." Hes a funny guy, and has a super strong testimony already.

Health update. I finally got off the medication. That is good, mostly because its super spendy! But the head doctor for missionaries in Brazil is super cool, and really helpful. He is also from Oregon. Most missionaries never talk to him, but I got to in my first transfer! Alwaya knew I was special :) But I am doing great now, and I'm workin out again.

I also got bit by a dog last week! That was cool, hurt like crazy too. About took my hand off!

Oh. Yeah. I came home on wednesday, super hungry. So we stopped at the corner store up the street. (This house has no food. We only eat once a day! I'm losing a ton here. But hopefully, finally my comp will allow us to go buy something today) Anyways, I bought two rolls with ham and cheese. About halfway through the 2ND, I looked at my roll, and it was SWIMMING with worms. Turns out that cheesey filling wasn't cheese. So I finished it. And got some more medication . . . for the worms this time. That was fun. That's how I celebrated your bithday Diane :)

A lot of people in this area call me Elder Johnson, who was the last American in this area. We look a lot a like (I guess) So I'm gettin used to that name. In my last area, everybody called me Elder Grandão, which means huge. I don't feel huge any more, that's for sure! I'm about to drop under 100 kilos.

I got your package! Right before interviews with president! Perfect timing, because I was wearing my no-show socks, and that package had some others to put on right before I went in! The package was super great, thanks a ton! Peanut butter is amazing! Always send that, haha, I love it! Also the family calender was perfect! Nice picture, S! I used that lil' Plan of Salvation puzzle to teach the other day. It was cool. Thanks a ton!

I also got a package from Diane, thank you! Italy looks a lot like Brazil, except with more color. Its odd. I also got a really nice christmas card, haha. And that letter from Katy J . . . whatever her new name is. That was pretty much perfect timing, it talked about companionships. Thanks for that!

My interview went well, but I got roasted a bit. He really wanted me to help my companions follow the rules more. I need to help them fix their problems. I'm a pretty chill guy when it comes to other people. As long as I'm keeping my part, I'm happy. But I learned that thought process doesn't work here. I need to be helping others follow the rules, too.

He also asked about my companion. He said it in a really strange way though. Like he was expecting it to be bad. Then ZLs told me that I've been put with this guy to help him out, and then told me good luck. I'm a bit scared about that, and what president said. But for the most part, things have been chill. I am gonna have to carry a lot more weight them I'm used to. I think I need to help my apartment get up on time. They all woke up about 10 today. Not really my strong point there, but President told me pretty straight up I need to help them out. I always banked on my comps getting up on time! Guess its about time I learned it ;)

Thanks for the letter! Valentine's Day here is sometime in March or something, maybe June, I dont remember.

My area here is good. Real good. The members are amazing! The stake pesident challenged all the men, and some women too, I think, in the stake to have ten hours of missionary work each month! So we always have divisions and FHEs and stuff. It is amazing.

Its amazing how much the members make a huge difference! I was thinking about my membership in the church, and the member I'll be when I go home. This really is a training for life. I will be a much better home teacher, that is for sure, haha, and other stuff too. The roles each member has, play huge roles in the ward, and in the lives of people.

I got a jump rope today, but I can't use it, cause we live on the top floor and the people who live below us get upset. But Ive almost talked one of the Elders into running with me. He said he would Wednesday (We have conference tomorrrow and gotta leave early.)

Well, I'm loving it here in Brazil, living with 6 (4 Eders, 2 ginormous cockroaches). The work is going good. Its hard to get going opening an area, but I am really grateful to be here!

Sounds like the family is doing great! And keep my updated on the V family! Thanks a ton, love you all!

Elder Jake