Sunday, February 28, 2010

Filling in the Gaps

Hey Family!

Thanks for the letters, as usuall, they were a huge boost! It has been a hard work [week], but the Lord is really changing me through my trials, which are smaller than they seem sometimes. haha but first I wil answer some questions quickly.

Medical, about halfway through the first transfer my sternum was giving a lot of trouble. Was hurting at nights, and especialy when I sneezed (Happens a lot when you are always staring into the blaring Brazilian sun ;) ). So I talked to the mission president's wife (as much as I didn't want to). She told me that she would talk to the head doctor guy over Brazil, and then call me back. But he called me that night, and gave me some medication to take. But its all good now, no worries! And the dog, I don't think had rabies, but who knows! haha Im fine. I dont need to get shots or anything. This time ;)

Haha I was absolutley kidding about finishing that sandwich. I'm not that sick. yet. But you do really learn to look past things like ants crawling through your cookies. It's really not that important, especially when you are hungry.

But in regard to the past week, it has been a hard one. I have been trying to change a few things, follow some rules in our companionship, and our apartment. It hasn't been easy. Especially when you are young, and they are all real old on the mish. But I have been praying a lot, and the Lord has shown me ways to say things, and ways to improve.

The first things I was always doing was fixing things. Just saying, "Hey, this isnt right. We need to follow this rule the President set for us." This made my companion pretty upset. (I've discovered he has a touch of a temper, haha).

But I took two or three days where I just swallowed my pride and only said positive things. Only talked about how well we were doing, he was teaching, and stuff like that. That seemed to make a difference. He hasn't accepted any of my ideas to my face, but slowly, I can see him doing lil, tiny things I suggested. Ways I thought we could work more efeciently and such.

I am still overwelmed at what Im not doing, and what we need to improve, but focusing on his strengths amd what he is doing well has really helped us both. He really teaches really well, and has a good heart. Its been tough to communicate withhim though. He has an odd accent, and mumbles. And doesn't like to repeat himself, or really talk that much at all haha. I'm learning a good deal of humility and patience. But I'm startin to get him to open up a bit, which is awesome, even if I have no clue what he is saying!

One Saturday I woke up and was wondering if I was supposed to teach the advanced English class again. (It is taught in all english, and is a load of fun). Last week I was just subbing. But I woke up the American zl. (English has to be taught by Americans. They get mad if its Brazilians, even if they speak well). Zl said that he wasn't going to teach. So I grabbed his phone (as he went back to sleep) and called every American in the zone. No one wanted to teach, everyone had excuses! So I went from maybe teaching advanced, to having to teach both classes by myself! (Thats like 30 people!). I finally called Elder Mourtsen who is new, like two weeks. And he taught advanced, and I taught basic. Without any help, or a lesson plan! My companion doesn't speak any english, and refuses to learn. He sat outside the class while I taught. That really bugged me at first, but I got over it. The class went really well though, the Lord answered my prayers. The people were all really patient, and taught me a bit of Portuguese while I was teaching them English!

I have been getting myself up :) Haha very proud of this. It is really good! No one else gets up at 6:30, so its really quite, and I have had a TON of time to read the Book of mormon. A ton. Sometimes 4 hours a day.

It is amazing. I have received so much strength from that book. I know that it is true, and i know it has a lot of power! I wanted to get up earlier so that I could work out and also have more time to read the Book of Mormon, so I started getting up at six. Then, the other night, I talked to my comp about gettin up at 6 30. He said he would, if I didn't set my alarm for 6:00. So I said deal. But this crazy thing has happened, Ive been getting up at six with out my alarm! It is a great blessing to read before I work out, and then after again! And Ive been making some really great food. Unfortunately, my comp still sleeps in, despite my blasting of music, and such. But I am tryin to help, and trying to do my part, like President asked.

We whitewashed the area. Well, we split the area the ZLs had, they had been working with two wards.

The only thing I need is a workout plan. A pull up bar, and maybe P90X. Ask Ross about that. If I could get that, that would change my mission :) Surely I would baptized over 100 that next transfer.

I am super excited about our neighbors! I have been thinking about them a lot lately. They are going to be such wonderful members, and will really be blessed because of this, and will be able to bless many other people

Mom, that is sweet about the client in Cali. Sounds like you are really doing well with that! W, I am so proud. Keep reading those books! [Books on electricity] Keep that up. You will build great things. We will build something really great when I get back! Whoa J! $140 on cans?! For what ! That is awesome!

Well, Im gonna go, but the work is moving along here! We have a few people marked for baptism. One asked us on the street to teach her and her family. Her family are all members, but super inactive. But they are great people. And she really wants to be baptized, a lot.The only guy is a guy named Edezio. I invited him to be baptized on the first street contact, and he accepted! Brazil is nuts! I love it! I am really learning a lot, and really being pushed here by the Lord. This is good :) I am so happy to be here, and to be able to represent the Lord.

Well, love you all!

Bye !Elder L!