Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 1 letter

Hi Buddies!

This week was a good one. Pivital. Changed me a bit. I just hope I can pass a bit of this through my letter, well see!

This was the last week of February, as I hope you already knew, and as such we were trying to reach our baptismal goal for the month. As we started out the week on Monday, we were missing one more man to baptisze. (The goal is a the overall number/number of men.) Because you have to go to church two times before being baptized, we made a list of all the men who had been to church in the last year, and weren´t baptized. And we went about visiting them.

On Wednesday, we found Douglas. Douglas had been to church a few times with his girlfriend, but was never taught by the missionaries. We met him at his girlfriends house, and taught him a lot about eternal families, and how God restored the priesthood to seal our families through Joseph Smith. A really different way to teach the first lesson, especially to an 18 yr old kid. But at the end of the lesson, my companion invited him to, using his faith, be baptized 4 days later. He accepted! We quickly taught him the word of wisdom and the law of chastity, and marked to come back to the next day. The Spirit really touched him for sure.

So Thursday, we got behind with our appointments and we weren't able get to his house, so we marked to go back there. When I got there on Friday (in division with my good ol comp Elder J. Harris, a DL in our zone) Douglas dropped a bomb on us. He said he had thought about it, and had felt it was too fast, and he needed more time. He had complete reason to think that. Was extremely fast, but we felt it was right. So we asked to share a message with him.

We thought the problem at first was the law of chastity, but after a few questions, discovered it wasn't. He had a desire to "be Mormon", but wanted to wait to find a job, and get started on the marriage arrangements and everything, and then get baptized. So, we were able to ask him why he acepted the invite the first time. He replied that he just felt it was right. So Elder J. Harris told him that I would invite him one more time to be baptized this week, and that he wanted him to pay attention to the spirit. I invited him, and his answer was more or less "holy...". He felt the Spirit really strong one more time, and acepted the invitation, and he was interviewed on the spot. Was a great learning experience for me, and helped me trust in the Lord.

As he was being interviewed, I went into the bathroom to pray, and thank the Lord for the miracle which he had made happen. I felt the words which I had uttered in my testimony to Douglas come back in to my mind. The Lord wants the same thing you do, you just have let him take the lead, and hell get you there. Douglas wanted an eternal family, and wanted to be able to be able to support this family as well. I wanted to reach our goal, that we felt was from the Lord. These things God also wants, but if we try and do it our way, for example put of the baptism until later, he can bless us and help us get that goal. I was so worried about getting my goal, but I was putting off the promptings cause I thought I didnt have time to do some things that I didnt think would help. But as I was able to fully turn myself over to Him, he was able to work miracles.

As I left that house, I decided to let the Lord guide me. I got close to the next house where we had two baptismal interviews, and the Lord said, "Don't go there." WHAT?! I'm trying to reach the goal which I made with the Lord, and their interviews are marked now! But, we stopped and prayed in the middle of the street and turned around.

Until now, I dont know why, but I know I did the Lords will. Was an incredible test.

Through these experiences, and a few more from this week, I have learned so much more about how to follow the spirit. I am so gratful for that week.

That couple we didnt interview was G and C. G had smoked again, and wasnt around when we came back the next day to do the interviews. But C was there, was interveiwed and passed. Saturday night, we passed by there house and G was so excited about his baptism for the next day. He didnt know that he couldnt be baptized because he had smoked that week. We told him, obviously, various times, but he hadnt understood. We marked his interview for the next day during church, even though we knew he couldnt be bapttized.

That night I had a great talk with my companion about following the spirit, and really helped me to realize that I needed to follow my first promtings, instead of prayin and praying and praying for a stronger or different answer. Just do it. I think because of my pride, I dont accept answers at first, and I feel I need to pray a lot over em.

As I prayed the next morning, I got an answer that it wasnt right to interveiw G. We got to church and everyone told us in ward council and in the hallwayt that we should, at least give him a chance. This was another trial of my faith. But we decided to give president a call (as he would be at the baptism). He told us not to do it, that he neeeded to go one week with out smoking. So we grabbed the bishop and met with G and C during church.

It was a special lesson, w let him know the standards and what the Lord expected of him. We even gave him a blessing during the meeting. C was invited to be baptized if she wanted to that night at the baptism.

She showed up there that night and decided she wanted to be baptized. It was a really spçecial meetng. It was really hard for G. My heart was broken as I looked at this great friend of mine cry because he wanted so bad to be baptized, but couldnt. This moment really gave me a better understand of our Savior. But he will be baptize next week I believe.

Well. sorry if that lettter was long and intense, but thats pretty much how the week was. As I sat in church sunday morning, I was filled with an immense peace. I knew I wasnt perfect, but I knew I had turned myself over to the Lord, and had done what he wanted me too. One of the greatest feelings.

I love you all! I dont have time to respoond to everything, my companion is patiently waiting, so Ill make it up next week! (transfers! Already!?) I love you all!

Love, Elder Jake