Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hanging on

[Elder Jake was having difficulties with the internet at the cafe. It kept shutting down on him.]

Alrighty Mama, Try number 4... I got about ten mins now. And then I got a meeting with the ward counsel, prolly shouldnt miss that.

Hey :)

This week was good, I really can't complain! So let's see where I can start.

We haven't had a whole lot of investigators, this area is pretty tough, but we are starting to get there, slowly, but we are gettin there! We had a great family show up to church, Airton and Leu. They are married! And a great family. He would be great friends with Del, reminds me a bit of him, which is awesome. We taught them the other day and they were super good, very excited. However, they do like to talk. A lot. They were both talking, at the same time, for most of the lesson. Its crazy! That's a situation that really pushes your language skills! I was grateful I was able to stay afloat there :) They are living here, but have a farm somewhere else that they go visit every once in a while, to take care of the horses, which I wanna visit, and they did invite us, so we'll see.

The Book of Mormon Lady didn't come to church, which I was really sad about. But the work moves on!

This other lady is Lucia. She is about 45, and all of her kids are members, I think. We found her in the address book. We taught her the second lesson, and then I invited her to be baptized. Worst invite I've ever done! I couldn't get the words out right, and I couldn't think. It was weird, and rather annoying. But then she accepted! Then, when I did a division with the LZ, I told them about it. He was shocked! He said she had been invited to be baptized loads of times, and had been an investigator for a long time. She had never even thought about baptism, just quickly answered no! I am glad I didn't know that.

I heard a quote once that said missionaries are capable of doing things they are not capable of doing, because they do not know they are not capable of doing them. Also really helped me learn that this is the Lords work, and even with the worst invite, he can touch the heart of a very stubborn woman. (She still is very stubborn, but also very ready to be baptized!).

Because we haven't had a ton of investigators to focus on, I have had a lot of time to think about improving myself as a missionary, to better help the people here. I have been loving the scriptures, and at times become a lil sad with the short amount of study time I have now that my companion wants to do comp study ;) I was really loving that load of personal study time, but I am also loving comp study, and I am learning a ton from this kid!

I, too, Mom have been thinking a lot about prayer this week! I have really been trying to pray more, even though this transfer isn't as hard. I am really impressed by the power of prayer, and how it can help me out in all situations, and let me feel the love of my Heavenly Father. Prayer is the greatest thing ever! haha! I am super grateful for that, and being able to pray always, even if just to say a quick prayer thankin the Lord for my blessings!

I'll call this week with info on the call!]

Love ya
Elder Jake!