Monday, January 28, 2008

A Good Long Week

Hey Everyone!

This was a good, long week, with a lot of things going on and a lot of working hard. Unfortunately, most of our investigators(a lot of them at least) aren't being able to meet with us. A lot of them aren't answering their phones even. It's pretty lame and frustrating to be honest, but there is nothing I can do. It's been like two weeks or more since we've met with Alis, Adriana, or Alina. In any case, we had a good week and used the extra time to find new investigators.

We started up our english classes. I pretty much teach all the beginner classes by myself, though Elder Middleton comes in and helps me on two of the four. But I plan and organized it and all that good stuff. The classes have gone pretty well. After one of my classes on Saturday, a few people were standing looking at the street board that we have by the door. It has pictures of the 1st Vision, the prophet and apostles, Book of Mormon, etc. I talked to a couple people about it, then started talking to this guy that was pretty interested. I gave him a Book of Mormon and talked to him about it and I'll talk to him more about it next week after class.

So, the weather has been a lot nicer lately, except today, the wind is blowing like crazy, and so I've been street contacting. It'd seriously probably been a couple months since I had done that, but it's really good. We've met some really cool people, though we haven't gotten any new investigators out of it yet.

On Tuesday we had our interviews with President Ashby. It went pretty good, like always, nothing unusual, until our interview when both me and my companion were in there together. President turned to me and said, "So, this is your first transfer senior right?" Awkward silence, I didn't really know what to say. "Uhhh, no." Then he tried to cover up, lol, "Which one is it then?" I responded, "My fourth." Then he was just like, "Oh." I really do love President Ashby and I know he is an inspired man, at least when the spirit of his calling is on him, but he has no clue who I am as a missionary. Oh well, that has no impact on my work as a missionary. I'm not out here for him, but rather for God and my family and my friends, including those I hope to make by sharing the Gospel.

Wednesday, we had zone conference. It was really good. It was a boost that I felt like I'd been needing for a long time. Before Wednesday, it was two months since the last zone conference. So it was even better than normal. I took a lot of notes and mostly I gained from the things that the Spirit told me a lot more than what the speakers taught me, though those were good, too. There were a few things taught(not by our zone leaders, they had a really solid presentation) that go against Preach My Gospel and also what Elder Kapischa taught us(even though that was just last transfer, people have already forgotten it). In any case, I really enjoyed zone conference and I learned a ton from it. I also dodged the 10-minute talk again.

Also at zone conference I got two packages. One from Grandma and Grandpa L and one from Stephanie and Guy. They were both really great. Stephanie and Guy sent me jerky and a Cars soundtrack, which were both very appreciated. Then grandma and grandpa sent me a bunch of great food; fudge, fruitcake, caramel corn, candy, etc. They also sent me a little towel and some socks. Everything I got was sweet and so tell everyone thanks a bajillion! It made my day!

Man, on Thursday we went to go street contacting and all this people were heading up towards Hotel Unirea. So we walked up there and there were thousands of people gathered there. Turns out it was the anniversary of the zone of Moldova joining with the rest of Romania. There was a big parade, which we watched, then dancing and who knows what else. The President of Romania was there and I was like 10 feet from him. I guess I could have fought the crowd to shake his hand but I didn't really care to. It was a pretty cool event, though.

Friday we had a pretty sweet branch activity. It was one put on by the branch, not us, so people actually came. We had some way fun games, too, and everyone seemed to have a blast. One game was we all got someone's name put on our back and then we had to go around asking everyone questions about who it is until we guessed. I won too fast, so Diamanta made me do it again. There was also musical chairs, lol, way awkward. One BYU girl sat on Elder Stroud's lap not once, but twice. There was also a donut eating contest where it was on a string and we couldn't use our hands. Yeah, I dominated that one, too. It was good times.

We had a fun exchange with Diamanta on Saturday. She went bloc-knocking with us and it's pretty interesting knocking on doors with three people standing there. We didn't really have any good discussions, but we still had a couple lessons and it was fun. Man, the BYU girls want to come with us, too. Wonder how that will work. We'll see. yeah, they aren't as awkward now. Even friendly you could say.

Ok, I am slow today and the others are almost ready to go. Other updates....I spoke in church yesterday on the enduring to the end. It went really well I think. i also had to translate for Bethany, one the BYU girls that spoke, too. I think it was the best that I've done translating. Then in 3rd hour I translated while Chrissy, another BYU girl, gave the lesson for the combined Relief Society and Priesthood. That went well, too. It was a fun day.

Ok, next Monday is when we get transfer calls so you'll probably hear that I'm transferred, not because I've heard anything, but just because I've been here so long. So, I want a camera so I can take some pictures. My companion's camera isn't working either anymore. So i looked and they cost about 300-330 Ron. I hope that works. I want to buy one soon so I can have pictures of this city. So I'll do that Tuesday or Wednesday, giving you time to put money in or to block my account if you don't like that idea, lol. S, I gave your email to Diamanta. More updates coming next week and hopefully some pictures, too :)

Have a great week everyone. I love you all!

--Elder Ross