Monday, January 14, 2008

A Baptism and Farewell to Senior Couple

Hey Everyone!

Wow, emails were AMAZING this week! I heard from tons of people, lots of siblings and bunch of friends. It's so great to hear from everyone and to be included in your guys' lives. That is SUPER cool about P getting his mission call! I knew he was supposed to get it soon and I was really hoping to hear that today, so I'm way glad he did. Dude, you'll tear it up, P! I'll write you a letter that says more.

This week was kind of a boring one in that it felt like I was doing the same thing every single day. English sign-ups are this Tuesday and Saturday and so we had 6000 fliers(just us two, 12,000 total) to get it. Unfortunately, we didn't succeed and we still have about 1400 left. We might do that tomorrow or just forget about it. It's a lot harder to pass them out in the winter. Because it's colder, there are a lot less people outside walking around. Luckily, it's not as freezing or painfully cold as it was a couple weeks ago. I'm definitely not a cold weather person. I really can't wait for the spring.

So, Gianina got baptized yesterday! It was really nice to have a baptism and it's definitely been a miracle how she progressed and made it to this point. From being a Buddhist/Muslim to gaining a faith in Jesus Christ and then to believing in modern prophets and understanding the imortance of baptism. It's been a wild ride, but it has been soo much fun! Her testimony grows every day and she's committed to the church and continuing to grow and progress. That was by far the highlight of my week, seeing her baptism. Elder Wright performed it. He totally butchered the prayer, he said it in Romanian, but I (Elder Bennett and I were witnesses) let it go. He couldn't do it the first time, so I said it for him and he did it a secon time and got through it. The Lord understands what he was trying to say.

We didn't really manage to meet with a lot of our investigators this week. One investigator that is doing really well (besides Gianina of course. Btw, she'll be confirmed next week) is Alis. When Elder Middleton and I were on exchanges, we had a super sweet lesson with her. At the end of it, she was like, yeah, I need to read from the Book of Mormon every day. Up until then (she's had the Book of Mormon for at least 6 months) she was at 1 Nephi 5, lol. Not exactly much of a reader. But stuff started to click and she committed to reading 5-10 minutes every day. We're meeting with her again tonight before FHE and then she'll stay for that. She's pretty excited to meet the BYU girls, too, and they'll be a big help in her coming to all the activities and stuff, just like Christina did from the last group. She was great at befriending Alis and getting her to activities and church. But yeah, I really think she is going to take off and be a really strong progressing investigator. She has told us she is searching for the truth and she knows it's not at the Orthodox Church. I know where she will find it :)

So Traian got confirmed yesterday and also received the Aaronic Priesthood and became a Priest. It'll be really cool to see him pass and bless the sacrament. Yeah, I haven't mentioned a lot about him or his wife, because the other elders have always been the ones that work with them. Sora Podaru is way solid, though,(the Relief Society President, if I haven't told you that before) and she'll keep Traian in line, lol. President Popovici is hoping that in the near future that those two can run Outreach. They would do really well, I think, and would be a ton of fun. Man, the Wrights are leaving like tomorrow! It will be weird having them gone. I really have grown to like them a lot. Lol, I think a lot of it is that they are trunky and don't care as much now. They just want to have fun. Anyway, Outreach will continue but it will be from 6-9, instead of 4-9. Not really a big difference, because no one usually shows up until later.

The new BYU girls are here now and it seems like I can't get away from them, lol. I've seen them every single day since Wednesday. Outreach Wednesday and Thursday, activity on Friday, on Saturday I translated for President Popovici while he interviewed them and of course on Sunday, when I translated for like 4 hours straight! I think I'm a little rusty since the last group left. I didn't do as well as I wanted to and they probably think I'm a horrible speaker, but it's all good. I did alright, I'm probably just a really harsh self-critic. I'd like to be able to do it perfectly, but I'll get better and better with time.

Anyway, the girls are pretty cool, a lot of different personalities which is good. I don't really know what else to say about them, I still don't know them too well. They're really nice, they let us go over to their place to make the baptismal program(we tried going to two internet places but in one all of the computers were down and in another there wasn't a single computer free). I'm still convinced that, for me, they won't compare with the last group, but they will do a good job here. It was cool to sit in their interviews and hear them accept their callings. They are very willing to serve and I'm sure they will bless the branch and all the kids that they work with.

Ok, lameness, they won't take back my camera, so pretty much I'm a failure and I broke my camera after only like 2 months of usage. That's the second one on my mission :( I don't really know what to do now. I really did try to take care of them. I don't have any pictures of anything over the last couple weeks too. It's pretty ghetto, especially because of the baptism. I can get some pictures from my companion at least. Anyway, what should I do?

Dad - Thanks so much for writing me every week, I love hearing from you! I really appreciate the updates on the ward and stake. I'm really glad that my experience at the Christmas party was useful. That was something I never realized would be such an experience. I just did my small part and it's awesome to see how a lot of people have benefitted from that story. You're always super supportive, Dad, and I really appreciate that. I'm lucky to have such an amazing family that is 100% behind me. Thanks for your advice and reminders as well. I still learn from you 8000 miles away. I love you!

Mom - Sounds like life is busy as ever, which is always good. I know that is definitely how it is for me as a missionary. When not a lot is going on, when I'm not keeping busy, then, I don't know, something's missing and I don't feel right. But when I'm anxiously engaged in a good cause, then life is awesome and time flies! Yeah, sorry I didn't specifically mention my presents. I really did love them all! The food was good, especially Fruity Pebbles. The Mapleine and Root Beer Extract are definitely hot items here in the mission. Tell P the earmuffs and gloves were really appreciated, especially when it was freezing cold. The stockings were nice, too. Elder Bennett got the other one, because Elder Hardman was gone by the time I got it. I love the calendar! The Asian family is a nice touch. I liked what Grandma J. sent a lot, too, the Book of Mormon characters will be a hit. Same with the CTR rings. I probably still forgot to mention something, but thanks a ton for everything! You are the best mom in the whole world! No, I didn't get Grandma and Grandpa L's gift yet. Thanks for everything, Mom! I always save your email for last, because it's my favorite!

J - Fat chance, huh? Lol, we'll see about that. I think I'll always have quickness on you, so just because you're bigger don't think you can take me on so easily. That's super cool about going to colleges on recruiting trips. I'm sure wherever you go will be the right place for you. Just don't forget to include your Heavenly Father in the decision. I love you, man.
S - Thanks so much for writing me as often as you do. I love your great attitude and the happiness that always emits from your emails. That is my favorite thing about you, S, how you are always all smiles and no matter what, you can find happiness in any situation. Remember that, that's a super good quality that will help throughout your whole life. Happiness comes from the inside and is indifferent to our circumstances. So, how is school going for you? Keep me updated on your life, lil sis. I love you tons.
E - Lol, that was quite the long email you wrote me. How are you enjoying Oliver Twist? What kind of activities have you been up to lately? What's the latest word on the home street? Well, feel free to write me a little more if you want. You're a stud and I'd love to hear what you are up to. Keep it real.
A - I'm doing great in Romanian, thanks for asking! Maybe one day you can come back and visit it with me. That would be sweet! Man, I wish I could be your teacher, too. Maybe when I get back, I'll be able to teach your class. It's not too far away, but you're right it's good that I'm on my mission, huh? Have a great week, A and keep out of trouble!
W - You little champion of men, I miss you! I can't wait to see the new dance you came up with. I'm sure it is hilarious. I'm glad you're still chillin with N. He's a cool kid, huh? Wow, your favorite colors are blue AND brown AND green. I'm glad you were able to decide. Little buddy, I love you. Don't forget it.
Ok, I need to go now. I love you all so much! Have an amazing week. I think mine will be awesome, too!
--Elder Ross