Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Different Outlook

Dear Wonderful People,

This last week has been odd. The work hasn't really gone any better and I have come to a different outlook on the world. Lol, I don't really know how to explain, but don't worry, I am doing really good right now. I'm just really grateful for the really good, easy life that I've had. I think I've lost a little bit of the of the rosy outlook I used to have on the world. It is seriously one messed up place and there is so much pain, heartache, sin, and wickedness. At first that seemed a little overwhelming to me, as I started to realize this. Satan is dang good at what he does. As I watch people I pass while I ride the tramvai, I don't see very much happiness. I guess I'm starting to realize how real this fight against the adversary is. But then I think about all the amazing people(you guys!) back home and I know that there is a lot of good in the world, too, even a lot of it isn't in Romania.

I've seen a lot of people falling and losing faith and not a lot of the other way around, where they find faith and hope. Like a lot of members with word of wisdom problems. Or people suffering because of others, like hardly any women in the branch have decent husbands. Some drink a lot, some beat them, some live with other women. And Sora Nett (i don't know how we got on this topic) was telling us some really messed up stuff that happened to her while she was at BYU. Not like stuff that happened with her, but things she saw, and Satan even nails tons of people in Utah and at the Lord's University!

Lol, ok, that's been kind of depressing, but I don't feel depressed at all. I'm starting to learn now more than ever that's it's all about people. All of you amazing people in my life mean more to me than anything else in the world and it's for the those kind of people that I'm out here working. Satan works hard, too, but he's going to lose in the end. I'm even more determined now to work harder and just get one person to find the peace and pure happiness that comes from joining the Lord's Church. I know He is with me and that helps me to keep going. If I find that one person, then I'll look for another. My work will never be done, not even after two years.

I really am super grateful for the life I've been given and for my amazing family. Thanks for the pictures of the reunion, it was great to see everyone. A lot of missionaries come from families that are torn or where there isn't a lot of love and I can honestly say that I love my family so much, both of you, Mom and Dad, and every single one of you siblings. I have super good friends, too. I can't wait to hear from P and hopefully he gets his papers in soon. I am one super lucky guy to have so many people who care so much about me and have given me the best life in the world. Hopefully I find others soon who I can share the gospel (the truest happiness) with.

Andy and Gabriella are still doing super well and by far are the most faithful people we work with, even over the members! Gabriella is going to get baptized either mid-september or the end of september, she doesn't want to set the date until she gets back from her son's wedding. That will be so cool, even though I probably won't be here. And Andy is still always willing to help us and to grow in the gospel. We've started a study program with him where he reads 2 chapters from the book of mormon every day and we do, too, along with him. I call him every night to follow-up and it is helping him a lot. He's never read it straight through, so it will be a really good experience for him.

Well, despite what you may think, I am doing really well and I am super happy, even if the branch is falling down around me, lol. We had about 13 members at church(we used to have 35!) I'm just going to keep doing my best and that's all I can do. And of course I'm going to stay super grateful for the many, many blessings I have! Mostly, the wonderful people in my life. But also because I get to be a missionary, i'm healthy, I have a good companion and many other things.

J - Thanks a lot for the email! Man, you are right, life is super delicate. I can't believe what happened to [a hs friend]. I hope he recovers alright. And [another hs friend who recently drowned in the ocean], I remember him. I'm so glad I know all about the Plan of Salvation, it's a huge comfort. Sounds like you've been working way hard. Nice job! Keep it up.

S - Sounds like girls camp was tight. The play, too. I heard that you are a way good babysitter. Good work! You whip those kids into shape! Lol, you making any money from it? Well, thanks for writing me, it's always great to hear from you!

Mom and Dad - Thanks for writing me every week! Your letters are super good, too. Some of the others were saying they don't get very good emails, but I always do. You update me well too, on what is going. Thanks so much, I love you guys!

Well, everyone I need to hurry and write President his email, I forgot! Have a wonderful week. I love you!
--Elder Ross