Monday, July 23, 2007

Letter from July 16th

[We have been away at a family reunion so I neglected to post this sooner. BTW, there is no letter yet today. He might be at a zone conference -- maybe we will hear on Wednesday.]

Hey Everyone!
It's been an awesome and super busy week! I'll get to what you want to hear about the most....my new companion is Elder Jepsen. He's a super cool guy, just two transfers ahead of me in the mission and he is a pro at the language, like seriously one of the mission's better speakers even though he's so young. He's a really hard worker, too. I'm going to learn a lot this transfer. I'm going to try to get the most out of it, because who knows if my next companion will be as good.

Man, our mission is super bottom heavy, meaning there are a lot more younger missionaries right now than older ones. There are only 3 people older than those from my MTC district(none of us went senior this transfer) who aren't senior right now and so we did a little math and 3 or 4 people from my district have to go senior next transfer. That will be nuts! I feel like I just got here! Pretty soon we'll all be the leaders! Well, this transfer just started and that's what I'm focusing on. Elder Jepsen and I have a lot of really cool people to work with, members and investigators.

A little update on a couple people we work with...I don't have anything more, because I was in Bucharest most of the week. Marian, a pretty apostate member who is super inactive, was working with us a lot and we were making some progress with him. He even came to church. But then the last time we went there I went to open the door out of the room we were in and the handle broke. It was definitely really weak, I hardly used any force at all. Anyway, I didn't think too much of it, it didn't seem like a big problem, mostly because it was a crappy door. So then I called him to set up with him and I was chatting with him for a few minutes and then I asked if we could come over and he said no. I was kinda surprised, he said we could come over whenever before, so I asked him why. He said he was mad and it didn't seem right to him that someone would do that(break that handle) in his house. He said he was never going to accept any missionaries again or come to church again, because that didn't seem right to him. I was way taken aback and was like you are going to do all that and risk your salvation because of a door? He just said yup, lol. So that was pretty frustrating. Obviously he was just looking for an excuse. Oh, and he'd fixed the door already, he said it wasn't a problem. What a joke! Anyway, to answer your question mom, Gabriella'a waiting until September because that's when her son's wedding is and she doesn't want to cause problems for that.

My district is super young now! I love it! Elder Woodhouse became senior, district leader and trainer all in this transfer. Crazy, but he can definitely do it. So every companionship has someone that's in their first area. Myself, Sora Harrison and now Elder Grant, bobocul(the greenie). We expect miracles this transfer, it's going to be incredible.

The time in Buch was fun, but I was there for 4 days and I am definitely glad to be back in my city. It was cool to be in Buch for church. There were a lot of members there and it was cool to see a lot of missionaries, too. Sunday night, Elder Waters and I had an exchange together. That was my first time having an exchange with someone my age(mission-wise) or younger. We're actually in the same group. It was really cool and the lessons went really well. I gained a lot of confidence when I realized I can actually teach on my own now and do pretty well, too. It was an incredible feeling!

Monday morning was supposed to be my P-day, but I spent a lot of it in the mission office. Elder Garrett reported their at 8 and then I was stuck there until like 1pm. I was put to work sorting mail and putting together boxes of supply. I started to go crazy and was ready to kill myself. Office elder is definitely a calling not meant for me!

Man, Tuesday morning was a joke, lol. I was at Elder Waters and Elder Carroll's place and they woke up at like 9 or 9:30! I woke up about normal, 6:30, and was kinda bored. I starting reading this medieval book of tales they had, then I took a shower and then I cleaned like their whole kitchen and even mopped their floor. That actually felt really good to do that, to go in and just make their kitchen way clean. I'm glad I got to do that, I really like serving other people. I always have a really good feeling afterwards.

Well, it sounds like back on the home front, things are happening! J got his Eagle, S got her dance award, E got his running award, A got baptized and W just being as crazy and funny as ever. Plus, people visiting, mom's business and the reunion. Thanks a TON for the pictures!!! It is so great to see pictures of everyone, I love it! I know, I'm a hyppocrite, but I'll send pictures next week. I'll put them on snapfish.

J - You stud! That is way cool about baptizing A! It is really a cool experience. Lol, I get it again one of these days, but if it's my job to plant seeds while others harvest, so be it.

I'm glad you have such a sweet attitude about helping others and serving them. You will be an amazing missionary! Nice work on the body building. Get those biceps HUGE! But don't forget those abs, my personal favorite, lol. Thanks for the email. Keep it real! Love ya, man.

Well, everyone, hope I updated you well. If not, ask questions. I love you all tons!!! Have a great one!

--Elder Ross