Saturday, September 17, 2011

August 29, 2011 Letter

Hey Guys!

Sorry I didn't get a letter out last week, I didn't have time! I think if I had organized a lil better, I could have gotten a quick letter out, but there were a lot of crazy things to do.

I am pretty pumped about Jeremy starting up his new season! Thats sweet! Id like to take this moment to remind you of a great game from my past.

In 2008, Canby started out the season with a fantastic battle against Sprague High School. It was epic for sure, and a blast. In this game, Sprague, running the wing-T offense, was rotating their quarter-backs every series. The defensive line found great fun in trying to destroy the both of them. One of the quarter-backs, a sophomore, was named J K. He was an active member of the Church, and after two more years of High School, decided to serve a full-time mission.

Elder Jeff Kidd is now my companion. I try not to remind him who won that game.

I got transferred! After just one transfer in Jardim Apurá, I had to repack my bags and hit the road. It was really hard to leave my last area. The members were incredible, and the is a lot of wonderful people there. Especially Elder Augusto. It was really hard to say good-bye to him, and to my other responsiblities. Im going to miss a lot it. At least Elder Augusto is still in the zone, and I can talk to him all the time. That kid changed my life, I owe a lot to him.

On the upside, Elder Kidd and I are opening the area, a new branch in the mission. Ramo Campanário! Its actualy really close to my last area, its in the same zone. Actually, its the fourth area Ive passed in the zone haha. Sweet. The branch was opened about 7 weeks ago. The Zone leaders were taking care of the branch, and the ward which it had broken off from, and now we entered to just take care of the branch, and the Zone Leaders will take care of the ward. The branch has 8 complete families, and the attendance is around 40 I think. I'm pretty excited. Way excited. We need 7 men to become a ward. So thats the goal, baptize a least 8 men in the transfer, a long with many others.

We I orginally was told by President about the new area, we didn't even have a house! But we are now living with another dupla of Elderes in a neighbooring area. Its a pretty nice house. We were sleeping on air matresses for awhile, but now we have bunk beds! We just gotta finish putting it together...

My companion is a stud. I like him a lot. Even in his first weeks, he is speaking with EVERYONE in the streets. He is determined to learn fast and to work hard. He has an incredible atitude. He is helping me out a ton already. I love working with him. His Portuguese isnt where he would like it to be, but we are working on it! We are living in a house of all Americas unfortunately, and two of the missionaries are in their first transfer. But we made a goal to only speak Portuguese. Its pretty fun.

Just to let you know how incredible my companion is, the other day on a bus, I overheard my companion invite someone to be baptized! So cool! The guy is my hero. I couldn't ask for a better companion. The Lord sent me exactly the Elder I needed at this point in my mission.I can tell we will be great life-long friends.

The branch had their first baptism this week! And we hope for many, many more. The Lord truly is wonderful to me, and I hope that he continues to bless you, my family and friends. I realize that i am not perfect. I have a lot of weaknesses, but i thank you all for always loving me despeit them. I pray that the Lord can give me strength and energy to continue His work and at His pace. Which i assume is rather accelerated.

I am out of words. Just pray for us :) Especially for Elder K so he can keep learning so quickly the language. You guys should hang out some time with his folks. Seem pretty cool. And pray that we can baptize these 8 men, and their families, and many more! I love you all! Have a great week! Appreciate ya!

love, Elder Jake