Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011 Letter

Hey! I loved your letters! They are always such great boosts for me, help me to keep going!

How was my week? To sum it up in one word I could easily say tiring. We spent 3 days in Zone Conferences, and all of Monday preparing. We woke about 5 am three times. and to bed a lil later than usual. With no p-day. We spent a long time away from our area, but it was worth it. It was a spiritually strengthening week! And it was great to interact with the other missionaries and talk with them and feel their love and excitement for the work.

So I am feeling strong and full of energy? haha no. But after the 4 hour power nap Om planning on taking today, Ill be great! Woohoo! Yes mother I am taking my vitamins, and using my retainer :)

So one of my favorite parts of the week. Sebastião. He is our recent convert. He is so incredibly strong, and firm in the gospel. He received the preisthood on Sunday! him and Fernando, another recent convert. Two men that are making a huge difference. They are bringing all their friends and family to church. They feel so strongly that their responsibility is to bring all who are willing to the church, to Christ. The two of them were very different a few weeks ago, always in the bar, in the street, living very worldly lives. But now, they are helping others to leave behind this all. They have such a great vision of the growth of the church. They will be leaders. They will help the Lord do His work here in São Paulo. That made my week.

Another highlight was walking home from church with them, and all their freinds and family who were there with us. And hearing Fernando say some thing to the effect of, "our group is growing. Next week there will be more, and pretty soon we wont fit in the chapel." Hearing that, and seeing these two men in shirt and tie with all their friends and families behind them. That was a great moment. An answer to prayer.

Another highlight was in the car with President going to and from the meetings. He really is an inspired man. I am grateful for him. Was great to discuss with Him the mission, and what we can do to improve!

Stuggles? Asside from the incredible tiredness that is overwhelming my body, I am just tired of myself haha. I get so frustrated with my weaknesses. In this new position, I have the blessing and oportunity of having all of my weaknesses magnified, and pointed out, often in front of large groups of people. Things I used to think I was good at, I realize now that thats really not quite true. So my goal this week, love myself! I focus so much on loving others, I just cant forget to love myself. And trust in God.

Yesterday, in attempt to find some strength, I did the evaluation in the back of chapter 6 PMG. As I realized my weaknesses, I realized a few other things. There are a few things that I have grown to truely believe. To know. One of them is that God is real. That He Loves me, and hears my prayers. I cannot deny that. That has given me so much comfort. And I know He is always willing to help me. As I talk to Him sincerely, I draw myself to Him.

The other thing I have grown to know is that the Book of Mormon is true. I love it. Everytime I read it, I feel Gods love, and that I'm not alone. I know it contains the words of God. I know its teachings will bring us Home.

God is so kind and giving. He has let me know these two things, and with these two tools, I can do anything. I can overcome my weaknesses. I can make miracles happen.

I love you guys! Have a splendid week!

Love, Elder Jake