Sunday, January 16, 2011

Listening to Prompts

Dear Yous,

What an inspiring letter. I was touched by the thought of the Spirit teaching my mother, and then my two parents sharing these spiritual experiences together. Really how this whole thing is supposed to work, right?

I'm impressed lately about how one of the simplest things, like attending Sacrament can have such a big impact on us weekly. At times, especially as a missionary, I think that receiving revelation at church, is something that is for new members or investigators. Sometimes I even forget that its possible to receive revelation at church, I think we just go there because its a commandment. Oh how foolish I am. I don't think we really recognize how good we feel after each meeting, and how, if we let it, every meeting can be a spiritual experience.

But today, I wanna talk a little bit about prayer. (I kinda feel like I'm writting a talk, but whatcha gonna do, haha.) This incredible thing has been happening on my mission. This transfer has been tough, with a lot of challenges, with missionaries and with investigators. Things I never really thought I would confront on my mission, as well as the normal day-to-day confusion and list of tasks to do. In the midst of this storm, I have learned how to receive help from someone else.

My whole life I have been praying for help, but lately something changed in me. I'm positive I don't think I know what it is. But I am suddenly able to hear, understand, and act on the promptings of the Holy Spirit. And that has changed my testimony a lot. We aren't alone! We just have to keep working and asking, and most importantly, listening. Usually, as I go to bed, I say a prayer, ask for help, and pass out. Lately, I've been staying up just a bit longer and the Lord has been filling my mind with ideas. As I sit there with a pen and a small notepad, the Lord has been blessing me with so much wonderful knowlegde and help on what the problems really are, and how to fix them! Or what to say, what to teach. I am so grateful for this cause I know that I'm alone, and if I do His will, it will all be alright. "And every lil thing, is gonna be al-ri-ight!"

On Sunday, I was speaking to this couple in the ward about we are taking care of two wards. I explained the shortage of missionaries. and they were asking me about Senor Couple Missionaries. I told her about my wonderful Grandparents, and about my experiences as a missionary. As I was talking about my mission I was just so grateful that Im here and Im so glad I have so much time left. I am not sure why the Lord has blessed me with this great love for the work, but I pray that it continues! I love being out here. Its super hard. I have to go do some stuff right now that I dont really want to. But it is so incredible to be involved in this work. The lord is just pouring blessings like crazy. You people should definitely try and leave with the missionaries sometime. It is so awesome to be here, and to spread the Good news.

I love you all! Have a great week!

Love Elder Jake

Remember to spay and neuter your pets!