Oi Pessoas!
Well, tell Uncle Aaron Happy Birthday, I suppose. On Sunday, we ate lunch with two younger couples, and I couldn't figure out who they reminded me off. That is until one of them excused himself from the table because he needed to fart. Then it hit me. Uncles Aaron, Derek, and Ward. Such a profound, sophisticated group of men. Haha!!
Well, to answer some questions. The language is coming along! I gave a talk in church on Sunday, and when I realized how incredibly short the one I had scripted out, I even expanded and added a bunch on the spot. Really nice to have the Holy Ghost as a companion! I have just been talking a ton. Trying to follow the example of Adam ;) [friend Adam Mikkelsen] and it has helped a ton. I just talk to my companion a ton, even though he maybe doesn't have anything to say. But it has helped a ton.
We aren't teaching English lessons. My companion doesnt want anything to do with it and said I can set it up next transfer. (He is set on being transferred since he has been here two transfers. Not sure that'll happen, but whatever!) I'm sad, cause I really want to teach English. I think it would be an excellent way to find people.
Here, the biggest problem isn't initially finding people, its finding them the second time! They are super chill with time, and my comp doesn't really like to make appointments anyways, so its a huge guessing game. Haha but it works strangely enough, even though I think we could be teaching more and all.
And yes, W would be an excellent canidate to translate for me!
We taught more lessons this week, but for example, we have two or three people with baptisimal dates that we didn't even visit once this week! AHHH! you gotta be kidding me! But things are slowly improving. Gustavo was baptized this week! was super cool. I loved it. Was a great event, and his non-member family all came. Was sweet.
Davi didn't make it to church this week, nor anyone else, except Francisco and Helena. They are on fire, and are set to be baptized saturday! Super excited! We are going to have to move back the other week, and I am tryin to work with my companion to get people, or us! to go to church WITH some of them. He doesn't seem to think its important. Hmmm. Not sure why haha
Oh, we didn't play soccer, mainly because my companion didnt want to. But Gustavos interview was that night, so we got to sit there and watch them play which was almost as good . . .
That is crazy about the wards! I am pretty excited The Fs are in our ward though, such a legit family. Had a dream awhile back I trained B when he served in my mission. I have a lot of wierd dreams here, a lot.
At least you have ward boundaries! I recently found out that our area is in two wards, but we just bring them all to our ward. Not sure this is in accordance with church policy, but whatever. If I understand correctly, about 25% the ward, who have callings, dont even live in our ward boundaries! Crazy!
That is really sad about Aunt Patty. I always loved her. I always think of her when I see MoTab. She was just always super happy and fun. I really like her a ton! I am very grateful for the plan of salvation as well, it is such a wonderful blessing! I will pray for the family, as usual!
I'm still freakin a bit that K is getting married. And Im kinda mad she hasn't writtne me a letter yet. I hope K's wedding goes well, I wish I could make her a lamp. I miss lamps.
Speaking of weddings, we went to a wedding this weekend. The coolest family in the sister's area had a wedding/baptism. Was super cool, this is what the work is all about. They invited me and my companion to the temple sealing in a year. I love the temple, I miss it. But I have been using the picture of the family, and of the temples to teach and it is always a spiritual experience for me.
Yesterday was a crazy day. So good. We had that district leader training thing again. So me, and two others from my MTC district were able to go make contacts with a Brazilian elder. Me and Elder Adamas took one side of the street, and Elder Garret and the Brazilian took the other side. It was crazy hard, and tons of fun. We made a ton of contacts. We didn't get a lot of addresses, but passed out cards with church times and locations and taught a bunch. One time, we did get an address, and I had no idea what his address was. Couldn't understand it. People just spit those things out wicked fast. So I just gave him my planner and he wrote it down. Super good man, was really intrigued by the prospect of living together with his young famly for etenity.
We also talked to one man for 20-30 mins! Was crazy. He talked a lot about wars in the east, the the monster USA, haha, and about different churches and everything, and how he was pure blood Arab. I was truely amazed at how well I understood him. I brought the discussion to the Gospel as often as I could. I realized that I do understand really well. Not as well as I would like, but still, what a great miracle.
After that, we taught Maria Clauda and her family. Three solid baptisms in the family there are three sisters and one mother. And about of others running around somewhere, so we got more baptisms there too possibly. But one of those three daughters is a active member, except she works most Sundays. But she is trying, and goes when she can, to activities and whatnot, and is close with all the members and reads and all. Her two sisters, one is 14, Maria, and one is 23ish, and has a yound girl. She is single. Family is super legit, golden. We taught them, and then helped the 23 yr old build an Ikea closet wardrobe in her new appartment-thing!
Got a lot of experience with that haha even though her unit was at least 20 years old, and well-worn. But it turned out well! IT was so hot in that room. All tiled - walls and floors. And that precious lil girl was sreaming like a lil banhshee the whole time! I still have a head ache from that. Freals. Its throbbin hahabrought back so many memories of a girl back home ;)
After that, we did some tracting, and set up a FHE with Maria and her family and some other families in the ward. We got all the members at the designated house, and then we went to get Maria and them. It was raining HARD. and had been. Really hard. The streets were all flooded. Me and my companion ran to her house up the "river" That was up to my knees! It was awesome.
The roads here are super sketch, so in my running, I stepped in a pot hole beneath the water that was super deepand tore a nice hole in my pants. I am gonna need more clothes. haha Nothing fits any more anyways. Almost need to buy a new belt. I'm down to a 34 or maybe even less haha so crazy well They didn't ended up coming because of the crazy rain, but we have FHE tonight with the same people.
After that, we were walking home and met a nice drunk man we had contacted awhile back (he was sober then). He was wasted, so we had some fun shouting hallelujahs and the like, much to his enjoyment.
Then we helped Yoda. Yoda was a lil tiny old man with big ears and a cane. Lived on the streets. We helped him carry his stuff to his designated door way. He was very grateful. He, however, walked really slow, and more than once I thought about throwing him on my back and running. Maybe doing some push ups, or one-armed hand stands while balancing rocks with my mind.
Well, it has been a great week, and hopefully will get better! We have transfers in two weeks, I think. Which should be exciting. I'm down for change, but Im fine without. Speaking of numbers Dad, and thank you very much for your letters! Both email and snail. (Ill get letters and packages at interviews, zone conferences and other occasions like that). But the goal for this ward is 33 baptisms this year. The ward! How crazy is that! The work here is revoltingly awesome. Our zone had ten baptisms last week!
In regards to money, when I spend any, I will let you know! Thanks for everything and for the letters and the prayers!
Have a good week!
Love, Elder Jake