Hey Everyone!
Not a ton of things happened this week, but it was still good. Iasi Days have been going on. It's a week(and some) long celebration in which there are tons of stands and booths everywhere, people selling everything from souvenirs to blankets and slippers to jewelry, winter coats and lots of food. It's pretty crazy, tons of people come from outside the city and lots of these booths are set up right outside our apartment and there has been a constant crowd. Going anywhere takes twice as long as usual. I bought a few things that may be going your way for Christmas : )
Last Monday, we had a FHE with the family. It went really well. We started with a prayer, we shared a spiritual thought on families. We talked about strengthening families through 3 things. I got this from one of the 70's that spoke at General Conference. The things are family prayer every day, family home evening every week and family scripture study every day. The last one is especially hard, because the children are young and don't know how to read. So, we came prepared. We had the children's version of the Book of Mormon and that was kind of our activity. We went around the room and took turns reading and we helped the kids to read just like I used to do with you guys. It was a really good time. Then we finished with dessert. I made banana bread beforehand and it was a HUGE hit... they loved it! Unfortuneatly, they didn't come to church this week. We visited them again Saturday night and they said they were coming, but for some reason it didn't happen. It's hard to set up with them, because their phone doesn't work a lot of the time. Hopefully, it does soon. What I think we really need with them, is to go over there with a member. But to do that I need to be able to set up a specific time, so that the member doesn't lose his time if they're not home. Hopefully, that happens this week. That'd be great.
I don't know why we are having problems with phones but we are. Alina's phone hasn't been working either. We have tried a bunch of times. I think we're going to stop by tonight. They probably have a house phone, I only have a cell phone number. And Ferman has been really busy and lives outside of town. He said he can meet this Thursday, so we'll talk to him then.
At ZL/DL, just like the name says, the zone leaders meet with all the district leaders in their zone. So it was the zone leaders and then four of us district leaders, one of them being Elder Selck. My presentation went alright, I think. I talked on the weekly planning meeting, why and how.I learned a lot in the meeting and it got me excited for this transfer. I still haven't had to have a district meeting yet, but that's the others' fault, just because they were out of town a lot doing exchanges. We'll have one this Wednesday so hopefully that goes well.
Man, J I know exactly how you feel. I got really sick this week and didn't work for two days, Thursday and Friday. It was super lame and I was pretty discouraged, too. No details, but I had serious bowel problems, lol, and so the doctor in Germany told me to go on an all liquid diet. I had to do that for 2 and a half days; I thought I was going to die, I was super weak from not having anything to eat. Saturday morning I felt really sick, but I was just tired of doing nothing and I forced myself to go a lesson. I felt even worse as we were going there, but afterwards I started to do better. It was after that when I ate my first food since Wednesday night and from then on I get better. I'm really glad I didn't have to go to another city for medical attention. Doctor Gardner said something about a tube the size of a garden hose getting shoved somewhere, yikes! Good thing I got better! Just hang in there, J. I'm praying for you. It will all work out.
Pass that on to Heidi, too. I am praying for her. That's rough that she has to go through all of that. Sounds like she is being taken care of though. I still don't know why I got sick and had to go through all that I did and miss two days of work, but I'm sure there was purpose in it and maybe I'll realize that later. One thing is for sure, I'm way more excited about getting out and working. I'm also humbled. I used to kind of brag when I'd say I haven't missed a single day of work on my mission, thinking I was a little better because of that. But of course I wasn't and now I know that better. Our trials are blessings in disguise.
This Sunday Nicu got confirmed and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. He also received the Aaronic Priesthood and is now a priest. He is a stud. He and his wife have two kids. No, I don't think it's always Italy, but a lot of Romanians do go there. I think it's easier to find work there and the pay is better. President Popovici's wife is actually in Greece,I was wrong when I said Italy.
Training is going really well. It's not a hard thing or a burden, the opposite I think. I mean he doesn't speak as well so I have to speak more in lessons, but that's not a problem and isn't any different than last transfer. Elder Hardman has a great spirit and loves to work hard. It's truly heartfelt everytime he bears testimony, which is something that's hard to hold onto after time. I'm going to learn a lot from him and hopefully he's going to learn a few things from me, too.
Well, I need to go now. Sounds like everyone is busy and working hard. Good luck on your games, S. Get better, J. You, too, Heidi. Dad, you're going to do great on the high council. Thanks for always being a stellar example for me. I'm glad you're enjoying your business, Mom. Keep up the great work. I love you all! Have a great week.
--Elder Ross
P.S.
For christmas or my birthday, I'm going to need a new camera. Mine's on the fritz