Sunday, February 4, 2007

Letter written Jan. 31, 2007

Hey family,
How is everything going? The MTC is going well! Still can't wait until I'm in Romania, though. Our district is back to 17 . . . Elder D. switched to English-speaking and is actually already in the field! He's in Canada, Toronto. It's too bad but maybe the Lord knew that and so we got Elder Williams, so we are still a district of 17.
We got a new teacher, Fratele Irion. He's way cool; he just got off his mission in September. So for now, our district has 5 teachers because Fratele Orme and Sora Jensen will be helping us until the new Romanian district arrives on the 14th. Speaking of new districts, I'm excited to meet the new district in our branch that is coming in today. And next week, Josh [his BYU roommate] is coming in to the MTC. That'll be way cool to see him.
My branch president is president Cochran. He knows some American Sign Language but no other languages. His counselors are Brother Stone and Brother Yerkes, who is a convert. They're all great guys.
I've seen Katie [a high school friend who works at the MTC cafeteria] and talked to her a couple times and I've seen Doug in the techie box but haven't gotten to talk to him yet. My companion is Elder B. He's from St. George. He's a crazy guy; he keeps us all entertained.
One of my favorite things is the RC. Last Friday or Saturday, we were doing outbound calls. My first call I talked to this lady, Ruby. I talked to her, bore testimony and I felt that she would take the missionaries. When I asked if she would like the missionaries, she said no, but I had already felt she would so I talked to her more, bore more testimony and promised blessings, then asked her again. She said no, I don't know about that. So I talked to her more and testified and told her how great it would be. Finally she agreed to meet with the missionaries and even seemed excited about it.
It was great. I gave every single person multiple chanced to take the missionaries but no one else would. I want the to have the Gospel so bad but thy wouldn't open up to it. It was frustrating but I learned a lot. The Lord prepares people, not me.
Dad - uhh, there's a slight chance I might have taken your suit and left my own green one. [Funny thing - G's suit disappeared about a month ago and we couldn't find it, then yesterday, just before the letter arrived, J came upstairs with Ross' suit and asked why Ross didn't take his suit. Mystery solved! Now we just need to switch the two suits.]
The language is coming. We teaching in Romanian on Monday in the TRC so that'll be a big test of my proficiency. Fratele Norris said of all the Romance languages, Romanian is probably the hardest. It's fun though. Te iubesc (tay you-bese) - I love you (to one person); Va iubesc - I love you (plural).
J-The food isn't bad but be grateful you have homemade food. I can't wait to go to Romania. Our teachers said the food is really good, especially the bread. The MTC is a great place, I'm making friends that I'll keep for life. I'm ready to leave and do the real work.
It was nice to get a letter from Guy and Stephanie. Tell them thanks and if they are sending a package, chips and salsa are hot items here. It's great to hear from them.
Well, laundry is done. I need to go. Have a great week everyone! I love you all!
Drag (love),
Elder L.