Monday, January 13, 2014

2014


Hello family and friends! 
 
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful week. It's crazy that it's 2014. It doesn't feel very different for me. Time is kinda weird on the mission! Plus it's sunny and warm and doesn't feel like January. For New Year's Eve we didn't do anything special. But on New Year's Day we went bowling. (Just like I did every p-day in Ogden!) It was pretty fun. I'll probably send a picture next week, because I forgot my camera today. There was another zone there as well and it was good to see other missionaries from my "generation" (who got here the same time as me) and see how they're doing. 
 
So a little bit about the daily life here as a missionary: every day we wake up at 6:30, pray, get ready for the day, eat breakfast. On a "normal" day (which happens about 3 times a week) we study for 4 hours - one hour personal study, then companionship study, then we have additional study because I'm new, and then language study- Spanish for me and English for Hermana Mendoza. Then we go out and WORK. We visit investigators, less actives, members, non-members, lots of people! And we do lots of walking. Luckily this area doesn't have many hills, so it's not too bad. We teach and visit and share scriptures, and help them come closer to Christ. Around 2 we eat some delicious Mexican food at a member's home. Even if it's not traditional Mexican food, there are ALWAYS tortillas. And then we get back to work, until 9 pm, when we return to our apartment and plan for the next day, and do it all over again! It's great! It can be super exhausting, but there are many moments of tender mercies and miracles and it's all worth it. :) 
 
This week we had interviews with Presidente Carreon. He said to tell you hello for him. :) It was good to visit with him and learn from his wisdom and advice. He said several times, "I know the Lord will bless you" referring to the language or whatever challenges and sacrifices. And he's right! I've seen it already in the short 2 months I've been out, and I continue to see God's hand in my life every single day. He is blessing me, and this is His work. There are so many things I need to improve, so many I fall short of being a "perfect" missionary and example of our Savior, but I am taking President Gordon B. Hinckley's advice every day to "Try a little harder to be a little better." We aren't expected to be perfect today, but we just keep doing our best to improve and learn.
 
Oh also when we had interviews the zone leaders gave me my package from Grandma! It was very much appreciated. :) Thanks Grandma! Thanks for the caramels and chex mix and See's candies and gifts and everything! :)
 
Another great thing about this week was Sunday. I love Sundays, even though as a missionary they aren't as restful as they used to be :P (no Sunday afternoon naps...) But I received a lot of strength from this fast Sunday, both from fasting and from hearing testimonies. I shared my testimony as well. We have a super great ward here and now, especially since people are all returning from their vacations and settling back into their routines, we just have to figure out how best to work together with them, and then we'll see even more miracles here.
 
I hope you all have a wonderful week! I love you! Thanks again for all of your support and love. I cannot thank you enough. I love you and pray for you (even in Spanish :) ).

Dad- Thanks for your letters every week. Sorry I don't always respond, but please know they are VERY much appreciated. I love you! It sounds like you had a perfectly quiet New Year's. Thanks for everything!
 
Mom- Thanks for the updates and funny stories! I love reading your letters. Also I don't know if you got it or not, but a sister in our ward sent you a facebook message with a picture of my companion and I. It might have gone to your "other" inbox since you aren't facebook friends, I don't know. 
Thanks for everything Mom! I love you! 
 
Wally- Thanks for the letter! Sounds like you got some sweet Christmas presents. I'm glad you had a great Christmas break. I love you! Also I'm not sure why you signed your name "twit," since your name is Punk. :)

Have a WONDERFUL week!
Love,
Serena