Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!


Buenos dias familia!

Another week has gone by. Time is a really weird thing, especially as a missionary. haha but I am loving it! Being a missionary is fun! And lots of work too!

To answer some of your questions, we don't wait at the church for tours, but we can do them, which would be especially cool because our church building is an older pioneer chapel, with stain glass windows and cool details. It's a really cool building. 

Also, that is awesome you are feeding the missionaries so much. I know they appreciate it!

We go running sometimes, and other times we just work out inside our apartment. We run for about 20 minutes, kinda towards the temple. But it's also pretty cold outside, so we often stay inside. Though it is great to have a temple so close, even though it's currently under construction. I'm hoping to be able to go to the Brigham City temple sometime while I'm here. We'll see. I love the temple! And I love helping recent converts or others take steps to be able to go to the temple. I know that it is the House of the Lord and He wants us all to be able to go there.

We had interviews with our mission president yesterday. President Hiers is an amazing man. It's incredible to me how he is over so many missionaries, but I can still feel the love and care he has for me. He said a couple times in the interview, "I'm so glad you're here." I am glad too. There are so many reasons why I've been sent here to serve and I'm grateful to be able to recognize a few of them. If it was my choice, I would be in Mexico already, which is why I'm SO glad it's not my choice! Otherwise I wouldn't have had these experiences or known these people.

So one family we just started teaching is a mom and her two kids, a 12 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. The dad works a lot, and is not interested in learning about the gospel right now, but he is fine with his family being baptized and his wife, says that she thinks he'll join the church soon after them. When we first met with them they were very excited and they want to be baptized. In our first full lesson with them, the mother was talking about being sealed in the temple! I think they are very prepared. Their Grandma was a member and they look up to her a lot, so that has a lot to do with it. We set a baptismal date for December 8th and they were very excited about it. Then on Sunday we waited and waited and waited and they didn't come. :( But the son was sick the day before, so that's probably why. I am hoping that we will be able to contact them today. We will have to change the baptismal date, because they have to come to church 3 times before, but I am hopeful that they will be able to be baptized on the 15th. I will keep you updated. :)

Also, in teaching the restoration to them, it was my first time teaching it to real investigators (as opposed to the many role plays we did in the MTC and since then). It went well and I really love teaching that. There is such power in the message of the restoration. It is so true and the spirit testifies of that when it is taught.

I am so grateful to be a missionary at this time, and to serve here with these people. I know that God's hand is in all of this. He has placed me here, in this city at this time, with this companion, this mission president, these missionaries and members to serve with, these disappointments and triumphs to experience. I am very grateful to Him. I love this gospel!

I love you all, thank you for your letters and support. I hope you have an amazing week and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Love,
Hermana Serena

Also I love getting mail, so if you want to write me letters, I'd really appreciate it and I'll try to write back! :)

Dad- Thanks for the letter and update! There really is so much to be thankful for. Life is so good. I am grateful for our family and our heritage as well. What a great group of people!
Mom- Thanks for the email! You'll have to let me know about the projects Jake is working on downstairs and send me pictures! It sounds exciting! For Thanksgiving we are eating at a member's home and I'm not sure if anything else is happening, I think just teaching and being missionaries!
Jake- Happy birthday!!! I love you. Write me.
Jeremy- Thanks for sending me comics! I love them. I will write you a letter today.
Autumn- I love you! That's so cool that you have been running and good luck with training for that half marathon, I know you will do great! You are an amazing runner. People are feeding me well. Sometimes we eat with members of our Spanish ward, and that's usually Mexican food, and lots of times we eat with members of our stake. We get a good variety. :)
Wes- You are a funny kid. Thanks for the email, punk. I am having fun. :)