WhooHoo!
Hey guys, I'm a Tio!
I can't lie, I'm pretty excited about that. I've been telling people about that all week! I also really like the name. Beautiful name, way pumped!
This week we have a nice four day leadership training in Sao Paulo. I'm pretty excited about the training. I am pretty sure I'm a nerd, but I have really loved to learn from the scriptures. These meetings are so great because they are so focused on the scriptures. The spirit is so strong, and I learn, and understand so much during these meetings. I've come to the conclusion that I am leader because the Lord knows how much I need to learn, and that I need these extra meetings.
We have had two days, and they have been great. Even though today I showed up an hour and a half late! Crazy traffic. I for the first time in my life realized how stressful it can be to be stuck in traffic. I also realized that faith and joyfully waiting (D&C123:17) is a lot harder when put into practice. But I was able to repent and relax, and find joy, and got to the chapel with a smile. I was doing my best, and I just relaxed and left it in the Lord's hands. Getting stressed and annoyed with the millions of people around me didn't change anything! I relearned that we can find a reason to be sad, or upset, or annoyed every single day of our lives. But where's the fun in that?! We have to push away the natural man, and find the reasons to be happy, relaxed, and full of the spirit each day.
I dont know why it was so crazy, but there were a lot of people late today, and President even excused us (at least thats what they tell me - I wasn't there . . .) saying that the traffic was horrible. Lil lesson I learned in rush hour traffic today.
A lot of the thought process came from an awesome talk from the stake president in my new area. He talked about joy, and how being happy and joyful is not a sign of immaturity, but a sign of spirituality. Pretty sweet talk.
My area has some GINORMOUS hills, Its pretty crazy. But its also completely diffferent that Santo Andre. It is poorer. The members of the two wards we are working in are great. I am excited to get to know them a lil more. I am zone leader still, and we are taking care of two stakes. Which is crazy. But Its pretty fun as well. My comp is a pretty fun guy. We work well together, and we have fun. He used to be a heavy metal singer, and he had a band. I told him SoP was pretty much the same thing.
This training we are focusing a ton on the Gospel of Christ, and on Love. Showing the love the Savior has for them through our wordsa and actions. I am excited to learn these things, and to realize how much more I have to learn. I am also really grateful to see the leaders in the mission. Man, I am surrounded by great men. These Elders are incredible. I am taking notes, and doing my best to follow their examples.
I have also learned how to let my weakness become strenghts. (Ether 12:27). I used to think that this meant I would lose my weaknesses, that I would be able to overcome them. And while many times thats true, I realized that sometimes the Lord, instead of changing who we are, or removing our weaknesses, he uses our "weaknesses" for our good. For example. I was somehow reminded of Johnny Cash this morning. While he may not be the greatest example of a man of God, the principle is the same. People really liked his music because it was a lil slower and had a different, groovy sound. When asked in an interview, why he decided to play his songs so slow, he responded that he simply couldn't play faster. His weakness became a strength.
Well I am just unloading a lot of thoughts right now. I dont really know our investigators right now, so its hard to tell you about them. We did have a baptism on Saturday however. That was pretty cool. Even though I didn't know the kid. Its always great to watch that ceremony.
Well, I love you! HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
Elder Jake