Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Re: Waiting to Hear

Note - Last Thursday, we received a short email from Ross which read -

Ok, I'm here really quick typing up something for our district...the whole mission has changed! It's nuts. Just wanted to give you a heads up that P day next week is Wednesday, not Monday. Have a good one
--Elder Ross
That is why the letter came a bit later this week.

Hey Everyone!

It has been an exciting week and a half! It's been very busy and there have been many great experiences. No, my P day will remain on Monday. This week we had zone conference and then Tuesday we teach English classes(that was actually our last class) and so that's why I'm writing you today.

To start off, last Wednesday, one week ago, Elder Garrett and I had AP exchanges. They called us the night before at about 10pm and said they were showing up at our apartment at 7 in the morning. . .

Anyway, the exchange went super well! I went with Elder Despain and I'm so glad I did. I learned SO much from him. He is a really, really good missionary. He has a really good way with talking to people and has a real passion for the work. It really got me fired up again for the work and helped remind me my purpose and why I am here. We did a lot of little things that I haven't done since I was with Elder Selck, which make a huge difference. Like actually planning our lessons out, tailored for each individual, and SYLing the whole day. That was one of the coolest parts. Elder Despain is a missionary that really strives for the Spirit and takes the work seriously, but he's fun to be with too. I know I'm a different person than him but I saw a lot of qualities that I really liked and want to apply. It was also a good reminder for me of how missionary work should be. It definitely gave me some fire.

Then Thursday we had the district meeting that changed the mission, lol. Our whole mission is switching from the focus of proselyting and finding through our own efforts to working with members and using referrals. This is a huge change from before, when we NEVER met with members unless they were a recent convert or a less active. I am really excited for this and I'm glad I'm here at a time to see the change and help make it happen. When I was at internet and wrote you that short email, I was typing up a list for each companionship. We divided the member list in thirds and now we are trying to work with all those people and build them up. The retention rate of members here, after only one year after baptism, is like 35%. Hopefully, with the focus on members, we can help more stay stronger, bring back some that are lost and get solid referrals thtat will lead to solid people being baptized and staying.

Then Sunday, there was a district conference in Arad. All the members from Timisoara, Arad, Deva, Oradea and Cluj were there. Elder Selck was there and it was really good to see him. I talked to him for a while and he is doing really good. I miss that kid. That was a really good transfer with him. I just didn't realize it until it was over. Anyway the conference was really good. President Ashby spoke a lot and so did Elder Roth, a Seventy from Austria. Then that night we stayed in a hotel and the next day we had zone conference, which is always awesome. I learned a lot and took tons of notes. And I escaped the 10 minute talks again. I'm not sure if I told you but there are at least two 10 minute talks by missionaries each zone conference, drawn out of a hat. I haven't had to give one yet, but Elder Garrett had one this time. So that is the sum of my last week and a bit.

Oh, we started teaching a new guy, Mihai. He is the son of a recent convert. He's a little bit slow but he is a really great guy with a pure heart. I think we can get him baptized. We'll see, I guess. Oh, and we started working with a less active who has fallen far. He doesn't even believe in Jesus Christ anymore. I don't understand how that happens. Satan must have worked hard on him. Since you said something about Lord of the Rings, that's what I'm thinking about...we need to smack him with the Spirit and draw Satan out of him, just like Gandalf drew Saruman out of King Theoden. Something like that.

[I had found this quote from another missionary mom.
J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings -- "The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

The quote corresponds with Alma 37:6 – By small and simple means the efforts of these elders and sisters really can "confound" the wise and help the kingdom roll forth!]


Man, I can't believe some of the stuff I see out here. I mean, stuff I hear that Elders are doing. One elder watched a the third Pirates movie at an investigator's house. What kind of example is that for that investigator? Then last night my companion was talking to an elder on the phone and that elder said he needed to make a list of rated R movies to see when he gets home. Ok, that is sad! He said something like he deserves it after two years of serving. He deserves something else and I'm a missionary so I'm not going to say it, lol.

Yeah, my new district leader is doing good. I like him a lot. He has a really huge love for the people and the country. He seems really good with people too and is really funny. I like him a lot.

Well, it sounds like everyone is super busy, which is good! Oh, I almost forgot... Happy Father's Day coming up Dad! I hope you have a good one and that mom buys you something good and says it's from me. Thanks for all you do, Dad! I love you and you have always been a great example and friend to me!

Everyone have a fantastic week and I love you all! And yeah, L., I'm still at my specific address for at least 4 weeks so send me a letter! I can't wait. Have a good one, everyone!
---Elder Ross