Hey everyone!
Happy birthday S! I thought about you, I know I actually remembered, on your birthday. I'm going to get a few small things to send you soon. I was thinking I was going to do it today, but I had absolutely no time. Hopefully I send it off next week. Who knows how long it will take though?
Sorry I didn't write before, but it was because I had zone conference in Arad yesterday and didn't get back until about an hour ago. It was really great, I needed the boost and I learned lots(you should see my notes!). It started with President telling about what is going on in the mission. You probably have heard but two elders got beat up in Galati by 12 guys. One of them is in Bucharest now. I guess a lot of elders have experiences like that but not as bad. Lol, sorry, I'm not trying to scare you.
We had three workshops with the topics of faith, working with branch leaders and pink eye/hemorrhoids. The last one wasn't my favorite but I guess those two things have been a problem. Anyway, the other two were awesome and I learned a lot, especially the one on working with leaders. A branch president from Oradea taught it and it was really good.
Then after those workshops we ate. That was a highlight, tons of food and it was all(most of it) really good. Then dessert was extremely good, too. All these dishes were made by missionaries and they did well. When conference started up again we had talks by two missionaries(everyone prepares and two are selected). After that the AP's talked to us about tithing and how we can better teach it. Then President talked about accountability. Both presentations were really well done. At the end, all the bobocs(greenies) bore their testimonies as did the one elder in his last transfer. It was a long day but I came away with a lot. It was incredible!
So then today was P-day. We got permission to go to Lipova, a small town outside Arad. We went and saw a monastery and then we all(my zone) sang a hymn inside it. It was sweet because of the reverberations(no idea how to spell that). Then we hiked to a castle, well, ruined castle. It was fun to walk around it and would have been more fun to climb but its against rules :( I got a ton of pictures today, more than I had for the 3 weeks prior since I've been in Romania. I will probably try to download those next week.
We are teaching some cool people right now. The coolest investigator is this 17 year old guy who is ready to be baptized and has been taught everything like 3 times. He comes to church, FHE and Outreach every week. He's a stud, but his mom won't let him be baptized so he is waiting a year until he is 18. We are teaching a lady Maria who has come to church twice now and is ready for the Gospel. We are giving her a baptismal date on our next lesson. Ciprian has a date for April 15, he is a younger man (late 20's?) and is a baptist so he loves to learn doctrine. Our biggest challenge is getting him to understand the simple parts of the Gospel and their importance. He is great, though. Those are the main ones, I will tell about their progess and others that are progressing well.
Dad - One thing I've learned since being out here is how I want to be when I get back, as a normal member, and I've started a list. Being a member missionary is definitely on there. Keep me posted. It's nice to hear about your going to the temple and the good feelings and experiences there. I am pretty jealous but I will have many years ahead of me to attend the temple. Keep up the good work, dad. You are an awesome example for me.
Mom- Sounds like you are keeping the family under control and have great hikes and activities for them! It's nice to hear what everyone is doing. That is exciting about the WWII photographer. I'm sure he has very interesting stories. It sounds like your business is staying pretty busy and that's good. Thanks for all your love and support(this is for Dad, too). I love you!
J - Thanks a lot for the email, that was really nice to get. That's cool you met Elder E. [a recently returning missionary. Is he way cool? Where'd he go again? It's good to hear you are excited for a mission. They are definitely hard, but I have already grown so much, it's sweet! I hope my personality hasn't changed, just that I have learned more about this Great Plan and I guess, changed my priorities. I'm certainly more humbled...still can't speak the freakin' language, lol!
That is way sweet how you asked J. to prom. [J.had our youngest go to his "friend's" class and ask her to the prom. In front of the entire class, W said, "Will you go to the prom with J? If not, will you take me?" It was pretty funny!]
Well, bro, take care. I miss you, too. I tell people how good friends we are and how I hope I get a little time to chill with you before you take off. Have a good week.
S - Happy Birthday! Again! I already wrote a little up top but here's some more. That's way sweet you got an iPod. Now you and J have them and I never had one! :( lol, it's ok. Maybe I'll get one when I come home, haha. How was your birthday party?
E - What's up, E? I got a letter from you yesterday! I get mail from the pouch only at zone conference and transfer meetings. Yesterday I got two letters from you guys and one from Guy and Stephanie. I think there were two letters inside from you, E. Thanks! It was nice to have mail. You are an awesome little brother and pretty much a stud! Keep being a champion.
A - How are you doing? I think I got a letter from you, too. Thank you! You are a very sweet little sister. Are you and the other kids excited for the hike on Friday? Are you excited to go to that fun toy store? I remember that store, it's very cool. How many beans do you have saved up? Have fun there!
W - You little stud, you! J told me how you went to school and asked J out to prom for him. Someone has to be the man, and it's you! What else have you been doing? I bet you are a champion reader now, huh? You can read to me when I get home, ok? I'll be too tired! Have a good week, W!
Well, everyone have a great week! I love you all!
--Elder Ross