This week was a pretty good one, and it was way busy, too. There was a lot of getting up early and travelling. I was in Chisinau twice, Rezina once and Iasi once! Time is flying by, and though the many trips wear me out sometimes, it is well worth it and I'm loving it here. It is my favorite area of my whole mission!
Wednesday morning my companion and I got up at 5:30am to get to Chisinau, so Elder Richey and I could get to Iasi by 11am. We had ZL/DL there which was super good. I really enjoyed it and one of the bigger things I took from it was to be careful not to put limits on God. To not say things like, I can't find and baptize someone in one transfer, or in this area it's impossible to get new investigators, and so on. I've really tried using a lot more faith and trying to not get in the Lord's way with His work :) It has really helped me in my prayers as well, to have this perspective. It gives Moroni 7:35-37(I hope I picked the right verses) more meaning.
After that, I was able to see Nicu, Diamanta and Raluca(still an eternal investigator). I sat down and talked to Nicu for almost an hour. I love that guy, he is doing super good. I talked to him a little bit about his son and helping him come to church, I would love to see that happen. I also talked to Diamanta a bit, she is still very cheeky, lol, it was good to talk to her. I didn't have much time to talk to Raluca, but I will probably be in Iasi again this transfer for an exchange.
I love that both of the zone leaders are my former juniors. It makes me realize that I'm pretty old, though. Anyway, the whole zone is doing pretty well except for Iasi so for exchanges everyone will be pulled into Iasi to help them out. I really like that idea.
Our Rezina trip was on Thursday this week, because Stela had a birthday party on Friday. It went really well, all of the girls are doing well. We talked to Irina about coming to church, even though her mom is against it. We told her that it is the trial of her faith and if she does it, she will get her answer. Mariana said she would be at church(and she was), only Stela said she wouldn't be able to, because her brother came into town on Sunday. So even though we talked about church with Irina, I didn't really expect it to be this Sunday. However, I tried applying what I learned at ZL/DL and prayed a lot for her to be able to come, to have courage to talk to her mom, and to get an answer and so forth. And it worked! It was a miracle. Irina is incredible, she talked to her mom who still seems pretty against us and then she came to church anyway. That shows great faith, and she will come from now on. I am amazed by her. The hope is to get all four of the girls there this next Sunday. Alina also said that she would probably be able to bring a friend to the lesson on Friday, one of their group of 6. I really hope that works out, it'd be sooo sweet! Alina is really doing awesome. She's the best member ever!
Our English classes are going pretty well, as well, though we haven't gotten any new investigators yet. We have tons of potentials lined up, but it hasn't worked out yet. A lot of it because we are gone so much and our schedule doesn't line up with other peoples'. There were at least two lessons that we would have had last week if we had been Orhei at certain times. It's ok, though, it will happen. For the activity on Saturday, it was more spiritual, we watched a movie on the Book of Mormon. Almost our entire English class stayed for it, it was great and we gave out two more Books of Mormon. Hopefully, they become new investigators soon. Also this week at the gym, I gave the guy there a pamphlet on the Restoration. I think I will try to give him a Book of Mormon soon.
I got my suit done!! It looks way good. It's black with a kind of a pin stripe, more subtle. If this computer works for it, I will send a picture. If not, you will have to wait. I picked it up Friday and wore it to church on Sunday. I got a lot of good comments on it. The ladies especially loved it, lol. Elder Zemp found the lady that did it last transfer. I don't think anyone has told her much about the Gospel, that's a good idea and reminder, though. Thanks!
I never did talk to those guys on the maxi taxi again. I called the one, but he was busy then. Now that it's colder, we haven't really had much chance to play basketball. I'm not really sure what to have you tell the grandparents. Just that they are a great example to me and that I love them tons. I'm sure I will get to catch up with them in a couple of months. I keep Grandpa Johnson in my prayers. I think we will have a Halloween activity this Saturday. I'll tell you next week everything that we do. We also have zone conference in Bucharest this Wednesday. President Oaks of the Seventy will be there, so that should be pretty exciting. I hope all of you have an awesome week.
I love you tons.
Elder Ross
p.s. thanks for the words on my rich legacy!! It's very true.
************************************************
Re: Elder Ross' P.S., in my letter to him this week, I wrote the following "I Know . . . ":
I Know . . . You have inherited a rich legacy.
During the week I went "home" to California, I was struck once again by the rich legacy my children have inherited. At the end of my first day at the hospital, Grandma and I were getting ready to say goodnight to Grandpa. Grandma said, "We have family prayer first." The two of us gathered around Grandpa's bed. Grandma looked Grandpa in the eyes and said, "Lloyd, who do you want to say prayer?" Grandpa selected Grandma that night. (She said that Grandpa had said the prayer the night previous.)
I was deeply touched by my parents that night, particularly my mother. I admired how she honored my dad's role as priesthood patriarch in our family. I admired how they continued in family prayer even when in strange circumstances. I was also reminded how the example of prayer's power was exemplified in my childhood home. As you listen to either of my parents pray, they speak directly to their Father in Heaven. As I participated in family prayer each night at the hospital (and the first night in the nursing home), I realized how much I still have to learn from my parents.
Last June, Grandpa and Grandma J came to J's graduation. One night, as we were getting ready for family prayer, Grandma commented on the impact Dad and I had made on the church and community here in Oregon. The compliment startled me. Our service pales in comparison to those of our parents'. As I have gone about serving others, I have used my parents' examples as markers to reach. So often, I feel I fall short in living up to their amazing ability to give selflessly to others.
In discussing your rich legacy, I cannot forget the great inheritance from the paternal side. Both Grandma and Grandpa L faithfully serve others. They, too, are always abounding in good works. They have faithfully served two full-time missions, enduring difficult and discouraging times but carrying on. Today, they continue to look for many opportunities to serve others, often going about it very quietly.
As a couple, they faced the hardest of all trials, losing a child. I cannot adequately comprehend the heartache such an experience brings. Yet, both grandparents endured and came through with increased faith in God and a greater testimony of eternal families.
That trial often shakes the foundation of marriages causing many to divorce. The time after Verlynn's death was very difficult for them. In today's world, many couples would give up on their marriage. But not your grandparents; they persevered.
Like almost all marriages, the marriages of both sets of grandparents have faced rocky times. Though sometimes divorce might have seemed easier, both couples have hung tight to temple covenants. One gift of going to California was watching my parents together. My dad anxiously awaited my mom's arrival each afternoon. His eyes lit up when she came into his room. I loved watching my mom's expression of love and devotion as she watched her husband of almost 46 years. At times she was worried as she contemplated the best course of rehab for him.
Oh - there is so much I could say about each of your grandparents - how each of the four has taught me a great deal and blessed my life, as well as so many others. What great wealth you have been given. I am so grateful my children have such "goodly grandparents who love the Lord."
What you do with this wealth is up to you.