Monday, November 12, 2007

I Know . . . How to Bring Joy to Christ

[Every so often, in my letters to Ross, I include a section called "I Know. . . " It gives me an opportunity to share my testimony about various aspect of the gospel. Here is the one he just referred to.]

I know . . . How to Bring Joy to Christ

You mentioned Christmas will be difficult for you being away from family. That is understandable, and normal. You have demonstrated the remedy for this many, many times on your mission – hard work and service. Just remember homesickness comes and goes. You will feel sadness at various times during this season; just know it eases, especially as you find creative ways to serve others.

There are times when I miss having you around, but I count my blessings that you are exactly where you should be; then I count the many wonderful blessings you are receiving and the family is receiving for your service.

Those first seven years in Oregon included some of the hardest trials in my life. There was a few times where I felt at the "gates of hell." But Dad and I kept putting one foot in front of the other with faith (sometimes very strained), hoping that the promised blessings would come. In the midst of this, about five years ago, during the week before Christmas, I was in the temple waiting for the next session. I picked up the scriptures and read. During the Christmas season, I often try to read about the Savior's visit in 3 rd Nephi so I resumed reading there. As I read one scripture, it pierced my heart with its truthfulness.

It is found in 3 Nephi 17 when Jesus prays for the people. After he arises, the joy of the people was so great they couldn't stand until after Christ bade them. Then, in verse 21, Christ said, "Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full."

Finances were among the fiercest challenges at the time. We were trying our hardest to follow promptings but there seemed to be no solutions at that time. Satan was working overtime to inhibit the growth of our eternal family. Reading that scripture, I realized that all Christ asked of me, of all of us, was faith. And if we give that to him, His joy is full.

It's simple. It's beautiful.

My heart was full that day knowing that my efforts were bringing great joy to my Savior. At the Christmas season, celebrating His birth, I knew I was giving Jesus the gift of joy.

As I have watched my children grow, I recognize that feeling. Knowing you are striving forward with faithfulness, I feel great joy. "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truthfulness." (3 John1:4.)

During the next two months, know that what you are doing is bringing Christ great joy.